Way back in 1998 I adopted what I thought was a colloquial neologism of a fellow undergraduate. It turns out, though, that “bastardize” as meaning “to reduce from a higher to a lower state or condition” is recognized by Merriam-Webster. I wonder when its original 1585 meaning was bastardized to its present form?


Comments & Replies